Monday, 10 December 2012

Review : Superdrug Colour Effects



In this post, I will be reviewing the Superdrug product 'Colour Effects - Wash in, wash out' in shade 8.1 Cool Blonde.

Since the age of around 14 I've dyed my hair many colours, but always found myself coming back to blonde. I generally like it in a cooler shade, as I feel the warmer honey blonde shades just don't suit my skintone. 
In order to up-keep this cool blonde tone, and keep brassiness at bay, it is essential to use toners and conditioners quite regularly.

I stand by the use of purple/silver/blue (whatever you want to call them) shampoo products. I wash my hair 3 times a week at most, and tend to use the purple shampoo every wash. 
But I also like to use a toner or even semi-permanent colour conditioner to keep on top of my blonde, in between dye-sessions.

In the past, I adored a product from Wella, 'Shaders and Toners -wash in, wash out' which was packaged in a sachet and came in a variety of shades. Mine was 81-Light Ash Blonde and retailed at a pleasing 99p.
This product, along with the purple shampoo kept my hair looking bright, shiny, and most importantly - prevented any brassiness.
Discontinued-
Wella Shaders & Toners
However, I noticed it disappear from the shops earlier this year, and it seems this product was frustratingly discontinued by Wella.

After months of searching for a replacement, I came across a Superdrug's own product. 'Colour Effects'.
(I believe this product has been available for a while now, albeit with different packaging)

This small silver bottle, retailing at £1.29, comes in a range of shades. It is a 'wash in, wash out' product, promising 'conditioning colour'. It even, weirdly, smells the exact same as the Wella product.

It claims to provide 'up to 3 applications', but having used this product 3 times myself, I still have some left. I suppose this would depend on your hair length (mine is currently mid-length). I used a large handful of the dark purple conditioner and worked this into my hair each time.
You use the product like a normal conditioner, adding it to wet hair, and leaving it for 5minutes before rinsing clear.

As far as a 'conditioner' goes, it isn't brilliant. My hair isn't noticabley glossy or soft after use.

However, the colour effect, to use the term literally, is fantastic. It works for me in the exact way the Wella sachet did. Adding a 'cool blonde' hint to my already highlighted hair. Before using the product, I felt my hair was looking a bit dull, but this product really gave it the pick-me-up I was after. It feels brighter and refreshed and really brings out the blonde highlights/shades in my hair. Someone even asked if I had dyed my hair again.

I would definitely recommend this product if you're after the same thing I was. The price isn't going to break the bank, you get a good amount of product for what you pay, and even if you're not a blondie like me - there's a range of colours to choose from! 

..now what's the bets this gets discontinued too.. ?

lovelovelove Catt xx

1 comment :

  1. Strange enough that I simply dont like to color my hair, I love it black, but if I really want (not any day tho), might be dark brown. Great review of product!
    http://sepatuholig.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete